di Valeggio sul Mincio is considered one of the most beautiful villages in
Italy and has become a very popular destination for tourists. It is a fabulous place, characterised by
medieval fortifications and houses and by the mills, located at the
intersection of the waterway formed by Mincio river and the land.
well-known history starts with the dawn of civilization in 3500 BC, thanks to
the discovery of a dwelling village and the Etruscans in the Iron Age. A large
Celtic necropolis testifies to the presence of the Cisalpine Gauls from the
fourth century BC, while the Romans
created road links between the Via Postumia, the Via Gallica and the Via Claudia
Augusta roads, thus developing the wonderful Roman bridge.
historic centre, dating back to the VI-VII century A.D. is Lombard, hence the name
"Borghetto" or fortified centre. The small monastery of Santa Maria,
dating back to 1145, offered assistance to many needy people who happened to be
on the territory and later became a Templar preceptory.
Scaliger Castle and the 650x25 metre dam, dating back to 1393 and built by the Visconti,
aimed at ensuring the impenetrability of the borders. While the Veneziani turned
the place into a mill centre , by exploiting the hydraulic energy of the river,
that is why it became the object of disputes between noble families of Verona.
Borghetto is enlivened by the celebration of the festival “Nodo d’Amore”, the
symbol of the typical tortellini from Valeggio. This festival is based on a
legend of 1300, which tells the story of an impossible love between a captain
of the soldiers and a nymph.