Garda

Garda
Garda
Garda
Garda
Garda

Despite its
31 km, its gulf closed by the Monte Luppia and its medieval village, Garda is
one of the most popular holiday resorts of the lake. The name Garda derives
from the German word Warte, which means “guard” and refers to its Fortress. Some
remnants of the past, such as pile dwellings and rock carvings dating back to
the Bronze Age, suggest that Garda was inhabited already in ancient times, but
its development occurred under the Lombard rule, with the construction of four
castles,  including the famous fortress, “la
Rocca”. Garda played a central role in the 10th century, when it became the
centre of the Giudicarie and subsequently of the Corporazione degli originari, an
association founded in 1452 which bought the exclusive right for the fishermen
of the area, a right which was preserved even during Venetian and French rule,  and which is still preserved today, since the
descendants of the fishermen auction the fishing rights every year, sharing the
revenue with the members of the corporation on the day of San Bernardo 



Of
particular artistic value are the ancient parish of "Pieve di Garda",
dedicated to the Virgin Mary was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1117, while
maintaining the cloister of the bell tower and vicar’s house, and the ancient
hermitage of San Giorgio dei Camadolesi, dating back to the fifteenth century.



In the
past, Garda was a favoured holiday retreat for Europe's nobility, that is why
it is full of beautiful villas and palaces, including the Palazzo dei Capitani,
located in front of the port, Villa Albertini and Villa Canossa. 


37016 Garda (VR)
SHARE
Garda
Garda
Garda
Garda
Garda