Lazise is a
renowned tourist destination. Its historic centre is hidden in its narrow
medieval streets and its majestic castle, its good food and long cycle paths.
The Lazise derives
from the word ‘lacus’, meaning lakeside village, which proves how important was
the lake for this area.
discovery pile dwellings identifies the first settlements in the Bronze Age,
while for the Romans it represented an important communication route to
In 938, the
community asked the Holy Roman Empire the opportunity to defend itself and
therefore it became the first independent Italian municipality. Some duties and
taxes were abolished under the condition that the surrounding meadows could be
used for the rest of the imperial army. The Scaligeri started to build the
castle in 1300 and fortified it to protect the community that had remained
loyal to Verona, until 1378, when the walls were no longer sufficient and the
community had to surrender to the Visconti and then, in 1405, to the Republic
of Venice. With the subsequent revolutions, Lazise came under French rule and
then under Austrian rule, to become part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1866. The
town is remembered for its old port and for its old Dogana Veneta, used in the
past as customs house for goods, and for its historic centre, characterised by
narrow streets and squares.