The majestic crenellated castle of Castelvecchio is a magnificent example of fourteenth-century military architecture. At that time, after one hundred years under the rule of the noble family of the Scaliger, too many enemies and popular uprisings forced Cangrande II to build a new home, which served as a palace, a fortress and escape route. Built from 1354 to 1357, it consists of different parts; the Signoria lived in the Reggia degli Scaligeri, protected by a courtyard with double walls where soldiers were trained. Coming from Via Roma, the first Tower, called the Clock Tower, housed the Church of San Acquaro, while the second, called the Torre del Mastio, was connected to the Ponte Scaligero. The other two towers, the majestic walls, the drawbridge and the moat protected the castle.
It was originally called Castel San Martino, then Castelvecchio, after the new Castel San Pietro was built. Under the Venetian, Napoleonic and Austrian rule, it was turned into barracks and an arsenal, while on 25 July 1943, it hosted the famous Verona Trial, when Mussolini condemned to death the leading members of the Grand Council of Fascism who had committed the offense of voting against Benito Mussolini, including Galeazzo Ciano.
Today it houses the Castelvecchio Museum.