Piazza dei Signori can be considered as the “elegant heart of” Verona. Although close to the Roman Forum, it dates back to the thirteenth century and was called Platea Domini Vicarii; it did not have the current shape but the Municipal Palace and Domus Nova were already located on its sides. Under the rule of the noble family of the Scaliger, it changed to become a political and administrative centre, and there the Palazzo della Ragione, Palazzo del Capitanio and the Loggia del Consiglio were built. That is why it changed its name to become “Piazza dei Signori”, being the heart of medieval and renaissance power. It can be considered as an open air museum of architecture where to admire the Romanesque, the Gothic, the Renaissance and the neoclassical style. Today, it is also called Piazza Dante, because a statue of the great Italian poet is located in the centre of the square. In 1304, protected by Bartholomew and thanks to his friendship with Can Grande della Scala, Dante Alighieri lived in Verona for seven years and he mentioned them in his Paradiso volume.