Verona Cathedral

Verona Cathedral
Verona Cathedral
Verona Cathedral
Verona Cathedral

The two winged griffins holding up the columns at the entrance of the Cathedral anticipate its solemnity.

It contains the story of four basilicas and its first settlement dates back to the fourth century A.D.  It was consecrated in 1187 by Pope Urban III, who dedicated it to Santa Maria Assunta. The Romanesque facade has changed over time, with the addition of late-gothic elements. Around 1500, Michele Sanmicheli designed the bell tower and the rosette.

The cathedral is famous for its white, pink and polychrome marble, and its sculptures and capitals with symbolic, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic images, and geometric decorations. The interior of the cathedral, with the paintings of the chapels, the sculptures of the altar, the frescoes of the vault, the Triumphal Arch and the choir screen, is a real work of art. It preserves the only work by Titian in Verona, the Assumption of the Virgin (1535) and two majestic pipe organs, including one by Antegnati and another one by Farinati.

The complex includes, in addition to the Cathedral, the square of the Duomo, the Biblioteca Capitolare, the Church of Sant'Elena, the Paleo-Christian Basilica, the Church of San Giovanni in Fonte, the Canonical Museum and the Bishop's Palace.

Piazza Duomo, 21
37121 Verona (VR)
SHARE